Natasha Joubert has been thrust into the limelight on Thursday, after she was nominated to represent South Africa at the Miss Universe pageant. With Shudufhadzo Musida opting to compete in Miss World instead, an opportunity has opened up for this supremely-talented runner-up. And South Africa still has a real shot of retaining Zozi Tunzi’s tiara…
SA has a new pick for Miss Universe
In a brief statement released earlier today, Joubert admitted to being bowled over by Zozibini Tunzi’s sensational victory at the Miss Universe pageant in 2019. In fact, it has been such a whirlwind year for the beauty queen, the very fact that she is following in Zozi’s footsteps is proving to be a difficult concept to grasp.
From Miss SA runner-up, to Miss Universe contestant: What you need to know about Natasha Joubert
Meanwhile, second runner-up Thato Mosehle will be taking part in the Miss Supranational contest – the first person under the official Miss South Africa Organisation banner to do so. That means South Africa will have three strong contenders in three glitzy ceremonies – and Natasha Joubert is hoping to be part of a collective that wins more than one title:
“Never in a million years did I think a year back, as I watched our reigning Miss Universe Zozibini Tunzi being crowned, that I would be chosen as the woman to go and defend the title and show the world how strong, powerful, diverse and unique South African women are.”
“It’s been a lifelong dream that I get to live out and will forever be grateful to the Miss South Africa Organisation for granting me this once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope to make our country proud.”
Who is Natasha Joubert?
Allow us to introduce you to SA’s official pick for the Miss Universe pageant: We’ve gathered ten of the most important things you need to know about Natasha Joubert – and we’re sure the rest of the world will warm to her like we have:
The Natasha Joubert Factfile:
- Age: 23
- Location: Centurion
- Livelihood: Public Relations Officer at RFJ Inc.
- Interesting facts: She studied in Boston, USA, and earned herself BCom Marketing Management Degree this year. Joubert is also a hiking enthusiast, a self-confessed ‘chocolate fiend’, and the owner of a dog called Bailey.
- Significant achievements: She is the founder of her own fashion company, Natalia Jeffreys.
- Reaction to her Miss Universe call-up: The beauty queen said she was ‘honoured, humbled, and proud to be representing SA’
- Miss SA 2020: Natasha Joubert finished in the top three of this year’s competition, losing out to Shudufhadzo Musida.
- Social media: The Miss Universe entrant is active on Twitter (@NatashaJoub) and Instagram (@Natasha_Joubert)
- You may recognise her: Joubert has modelled before, featuring on campaigns for Woolworths and Motherkind
- And finally…: She’s always up for doing something a little goofy, and her recent Tik Tok dances have gone viral. See for yourselves…
— Natasha Joubert (@natashajoub) July 2, 2020