It may be all about the image, but you do not need to be a celebrity or influencer to know how to look your best in social media photos.
After all, we live in an era where most people carry a camera in their pockets. Chances are, a large number of the photos they take will go right up on their social media channels.
That means that knowing how to pose to best effect for a photo is an important “soft skill”.
How to look great in photos
The next time you are in front of the camera, follow these tips and tricks to ensure that you (and your outfit!) are presented in the best possible light.
- Relax: The best way to look calm, cool, and collected in your photos is to be calm, cool and collected. Relax your body and eyes because if you are uptight and stressed, you are not going to get the shot.
- Take multiple photos: Most people on social media are not professional models with specialised cameraman. That is why it is a good idea to take multiple photos on your phone, instead. Simply ask your camera-person to hold down the button instead of tapping it once. This will give you a “burst” of pictures which tcapture every single little movement you make, and you can sift through them and delete what you do not like.
- Camera-ready looks: One of the most important things to consider before taking a photo is what you are going to wear. Wear colours and styles you know look good in photos.
- Own your good side: Some people feel they look their best facing either side, but there are tons of us who feel more confident facing one direction. If this is you, do not forget to flaunt it.
- Check your lighting: Always turn your face towards the light, especially if it is natural sunlight. This brightens your face and makes you glow, which results in your blemishes being blurred away.
- Have good posture: Avoid slouching, as it can make you look insecure and frumpy. Instead, sit or stand with a strong posture that makes you look powerful, confident and happy.
Picture-perfect poses to try
Find yourself scrolling through your social media feed wondering how others always look effortless posing for photos? You are not alone, because striking the right pose for your social media feed is something of an art.
While your favorite social media influencers and celebrities are pros at nailing the shot, here are eight poses to try.
1. Sit on the edge
If you are looking for a pose when sitting, casually sit on the edge of your seat and stretch out one leg further than the other.
This elongates the look of your legs instantly (and shows off your cool pair of shoes).
Fully embrace this look by kicking off your slippers or slides and leaning into the “stretch like you do when you wake up in the morning” pose.
3. Lean Forward
Act as if you were caught off guard, like something just caught your attention.
Do not be shy to purposefully let out a howl or giggle. It is a go-to pose for almost everyone.
5. Drape your arms between your legs
If you are looking for a cool pose that does not come off as “trying too hard” then this one is for you. Casually drape your arms between your legs, while seated. Bonus: this pose will show off your trendy pants.
6. Clasp your hands in front of your body
This works especially well if you want to show off your shoulders. Those look can work for social media photos in colder weather also though.
7. Lean on it
Simply prop your arm up and lean on it. This way your body relaxes when you are taking a pose that feels natural, or one that you’re used to.
8. Use your pockets
Casually think about how you might slip a hand into your jeans if your fingers got cold. Avoid standing there looking head on at the camera with both hands in your pockets.