With lockdown Level 2 regulations coming into place on Monday 17 August, those awaiting a return to gyms, the lifting of the alcohol and tobacco ban, all rejoiced.
Ster-Kinekor and CineCentre confirmed on Tuesday 18 August that the long wait for some buttery popcorn and a big screen experience will soon be over with their theatres set to reopen next Friday 28 August.
Ster-Kinekor to follow these strict health protocols:
With the hashtag #DoMoviesRight being punted by Ster-Kinekor on social media as they teased their return, the cinema company has released a short video on social media about the health protocols that will be followed when they open their doors again.
- According to the video, they will be adhering to all government regulations by maintaining a guest safety checklist at all times.
- No cash payments will be accepted and all ticket and snack bookings will need to take place online or on the Ster-Kinekor mobile app. Contactless ticketing will also take place at the cinema as patrons will scan their phones on entry.
- Rows will be kept open in each auditorium and social distancing will be kept to 1.5m between patrons at all times. All staff and visitors must wear masks accept while eating in the cinema during the showing of movies.
- All the auditoriums will be deep-cleaned using a misting tool before the doors open and sanitation will take place in all parts of the cinema.
What movies will be showing?
In terms of films, cinemas will reopen to director Christopher Nolan’s grand-scale experience Tenet.
The “action epic” revolves around international espionage, time travel and evolution. Nolan introduces John David Washington as the lead in the film and South Africa will be among the first countries globally to witness this big screen spectacle which also features Robert Pattison in the cast.
Tabaluga: The Little Dragon and My Spy will be the first family films to drop on 28 August with films, such as The High Note and Made in Italy to be released in coming weeks.
- NuMetro is also set to announce details around its opening.