Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein has not contracted the novel coronavirus while in prison, his spokesmen said on Thursday, but he is being closely monitored due to a number of other health issues.
Weinstein, 68, is serving 23 years in prison in New York after being convicted in February for sexual assault and rape. Weinstein, who pleaded not guilty at the trial, is appealing.
His health became a cause of concern earlier this week when it was reported that he was running a high fever and was being tested for the virus.
“We can report that Mr. Weinstein’s fever has dropped but is still being closely monitored. We can also report at this time that he does not have COVID-19,” Weinstein’s spokesman Juda Engelmayer and Craig Rothfeld, his health representative said in a statement on Thursday.
The statement added that Weinstein’s health was being closely monitored for underlying health issues that include a heart condition, high blood pressure and spinal stenosis.
In September, Britain’s Queen Elizabeth formally stripped Harvey Weinstein of his honorary award following his conviction for sexually assaulting a former production assistant and raping an actress.
“The Queen has directed that the appointment of Harvey Weinstein to be an Honorary Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, dated 29 January 2004, shall be cancelled and annulled,” according to an official announcement in the London Gazette said.
In May, Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison:
In the video below, the director of Rise Up Against Gender-Based violence, Vanita Daniels speaks about Weinstein’s conviction:
The post Jailed producer Harvey Weinstein does not have COVID-19: Spokesmen appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..