Whether you love it or hate it, Black Friday is fast approaching over the horizon. The bargain-busting bonanza officially arrives in South Africa next week, but the country’s largest supermarket retailers have jumped the gun. Here are the best offers you can already snap-up with Checkers, Pick N Pay, and Woolies (or Woolworths, for the pragmatists).
The retailer is set to drop its first batch of Black Friday deals on Thursday 19 November, and the offers will be in place until the close of business on Saturday 21 November. New promotions and deals will then pop-up as we get closer to Friday 27 November – the official date of the now-customary shopping frenzy.
You’ll need to download the Checkers ‘Sixty60’ app to access these deals. From tomorrow, the following offers go live:
- 30% OFF: Large tins of Quality Street, 4 x 250ml of Red Bull, 6 x 200ml of Fitch and Lees Tonic Water.
- 40% OFF: 250g tubs of Lurpack, 600g blocks of Lancewood Cheddar, selected bottles of Appletizer.
- R30 OFF: One-kilogram trays of prepared beef lasagne, 6 x 500ml cans of Castle Lite.
- R50 OFF: Selected bottles of Klipdrift Brandy.
- R55 OFF: OMO laundry capsules.
- R60 OFF: Selected bottles of Tanqueray Gin, Bio-Oil Skincare (125ml bottles).
- R85 OFF: Finish dishwashing tablets.
- R120 OFF: One-litre bottles of Jack Daniels Whiskey.
Pick N Pay
Offering perhaps the best all-round Black Friday package, Pick N Pay has a number of deals that have already gone live – 289, to be precise, across 13 different retail categories. Some offers are available online only, but over the course of the next week, shoppers can score themselves some truly savvy savings:
- Pick N Pay’s tech and appliance offers are the main headliners, here. Up to R10 000 can be saved by shoppers this week:
- There are some massive savings to be had in the alcohol department, too:
Festive homeware items, beauty products, and Christmas treats can all be found online already with Woolies’ latest Black Friday offers. They are also offering a hybrid of digital and in-store deals. The biggest bargains can be found within their clothing ranges, however, and there are eight noteworthy price-charges that are worth pouncing on.
You’ll have to hurry though: Some of these offers will be over and done with very soon…
Will there be any Black Friday deals at Shoprite this year?
As an alternative to the ‘big three’ supermarket retails, Shoprite will also be partaking in Black Friday – but they aren’t making any deals available until 27 November. I guess that’s what you could call a ‘traditional move’ for this new-age consumer craze. Officials have advised shoppers to consider what they want in advance before going ‘bargain hunting’.
“Consider more or less what you’re looking for this Black Friday. While our Black Friday specials won’t be released in advance, you can still make your own list beforehand. We’ll be bringing you unbeatable specials at your nearest Shoprite store – and remember to look out for Black Friday grocery and liquor specials before you shop.”
- In a newly released feature, Shoprite will also send you their Black Friday deals on WhatsApp nearer the time:
Black Friday is coming soon to a Shoprite near you! Don’t miss out on the biggest event of the year – add Shoprite (087 240 5709) on WhatsApp to access all our Black Friday deals! #ShopriteBlackFriday #WatchThisSpace! pic.twitter.com/7F44qfNfjF
— Shoprite SA (@Shoprite_SA) November 13, 2020