Twitter on Thursday said it removed more than 170 000 accounts tied to a Beijing-backed influence operation that deceptively spread messages favorable to the Chinese government, including about the coronavirus.
The company suspended a core network of 23 750 highly active accounts, as well as a larger network of about 150 000 “amplifier” accounts used to boost the core accounts’ content.
Twitter, along with researchers who analyzed the accounts, said the network was largely an echo chamber of fake accounts without much further traction.
The company also removed two smaller state-backed operations which it attributed to Russia and Turkey, both focused on domestic audiences.
Twitter said the Chinese network had links to an earlier state-backed operation dismantled last year by Twitter, Facebook and Google’s YouTube that had been pushing misleading narratives about political dynamics in Hong Kong.
Renee DiResta, at the Stanford Internet Observatory, said the network’s coronavirus activity ramped up in late January, as the outbreak spread beyond China, and spiked in March.
Accounts praised China’s response to the virus, while also using the pandemic to antagonize the United States and Hong Kong activists, she said.
Open-source researchers at Graphika and Bellingcat had earlier flagged the re-emergence of the so-called “Spamouflage Dragon” network, after it went dormant following the companies’ take downs last summer.
The US State Department said in May it had found a network of inauthentic Twitter accounts with “highly probable” linkages to China disseminating false coronavirus claims.
A Twitter spokesperson on Thursday said the network it removed was not related to what the State Department had identified.
The post Twitter takes down Beijing-backed influence operation pushing coronavirus messages appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..