The Hawks have confirmed that an arrest warrant has been issued for the secretary general of the African National Congress (ANC), Ace Magashule.
Free State Hawks spokesperson Lynda Steyn says he hasn’t been arrested as yet but the warrant has been signed.
It relates to the controversial R255 million asbestos contract in the Free State when he was still Premier of the province.
However, Magashule has told the SABC that he is not aware of a warrant of arrest.
Abestos accused due in court on Wednesday
Meanwhile, accused in the asbestos corruption case who were arrested last month are expected to appear in the Bloemfontein regional court on Wednesday.
Seven people and five companies face more than 60 charges of fraud, corruption and money laundering.
Among the accused is the ousted Mangaung executive mayor, Olly Mlamleli, Free State Human Settlements head, Nthimotse Mokhesi, and Blackhead Consulting director, Edwin Sodi.
National Prosecution Authority spokesperson, Sipho Ngwema, says more charges are likely to be added.
“There were further investigations that the investigating officer had to follow up on and further there were issues around what happened at the police station where Mr Sodi was detained that the investigating team still had to follow up on. And therefore the prosecutor will therefore give an update in court in terms of further things that could have been added with regard to the indictment. They were further charges that we were expecting would be added to the indictment.”
The post Magashule says he is not aware of a warrant of arrest against him appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..