Nelson Mandela Bay African National Congress (ANC) councillor Andile Lungisa will have until Thursday to apply for his bail conditions to be extended pending his appeal in the Constitutional Court.
Lungisa was expected to apply for his bail conditions to be extended today:
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) regional spokesperson Anelisa Ngcakani says the extension was granted due to technical problems with the manner the 48-hour notice to Lungisa to hand himself over was delivered to his attorneys.
Lungisa’s appeal against his two-year imprisonment sentence for assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm was dismissed by the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein last week.
He was convicted for hitting Democratic Alliance (DA) councillor Ryno Kayser with a glass jug on the forehead during a council meeting in 2016.
Last week, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in the Eastern Cape said it had written to the Clerk of the Court requesting Lungisa be served with a notice to report to authorities within 48 hours of receiving the notice to commence his sentence.
The Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed Lungisa’s appeal against his two-year sentence
Letter of suspension
The ANC Provincial Executive Committee served Lungisa with a letter suspending his membership and he was requested to tender his resignation as a councillor last week.
Lungisa says he will not resign from his position:
The post Lungisa has until Thursday to apply for his bail conditions to be extended appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..