Police officers accused of killing Nathaniel Julies denied bail

SABC News Julies Twitter @MaageMohlabe - Police officers accused of killing Nathaniel Julies denied bail

The three police officers accused of the murder of 16-year-old Nathaniel Julies will remain in custody after being denied bail.

Simon Ndyalvane, Caylene Whiteboy and Foster Netshiongolo appeared in the Protea Magistrate’s Court in Soweto earlier on Monday.

They are facing charges of murder, being in possession of prohibited ammunition, as well as defeating the ends of justice.

The officers are accused of shooting the Eldorado Park teenager who later died in hospital in August.

Last week, the court heard that Julies was fond of police officers and police vehicles, however, was chased away when he approached the officers with a big smile on his face.

State prosecutor Mzwandile Mrwabe described the alleged actions of both Ndyalvane and Whiteboy on the day of the murder as a need to quench their thirst for blood.

He said they were out on a killing spree.

In the video below, the National Prosecuting Authority said it is preparing its case and opposing bail for the suspects:

Officers should not get bail

The murder of the teenager caused public outcry in the country, with many saying that the police officers should not be granted bail.

African Christian Democratic Party (ACDP) leader Kenneth Meshoe says the responsibility of the police is to protect, not to kill.

“The perpetrators must not be given bail. They are guilty of murder. They must not only be charged for murder but also for possessing illegal ammunition that they are not supposed to be in their position (of). Why did they use that kind of ammunition or bullet to shoot at an innocent boy who is sick? They must be punished severely so that people who have concluded that all police are brutal they would know that brutality is punished,” says Meshoe.

During his funeral, Julie’s family said all they want for him is a peaceful send-off to his final resting place:

The post Police officers accused of killing Nathaniel Julies denied bail appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *