The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it is still investigating the murder of Nathaniel Julies 16, who had Down syndrome and was shot and killed by police last month near his home in Eldorado Park, south of Johannesburg.
On Wednesday, the Protea Magistrates’ Court in Soweto postponed judgment in the bail application of three police officers accused of murdering the teenager to Monday.
NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane says, “What we have done as the state is to prepare our own case, in opposing bail. It is not up to the defence to dictate to the state as to who they must call when and how. The bail application process, the onus is on the accused persons to convince the court on a balance of probabilities that there are exceptional circumstances that permits their release on bail. Investigations are ongoing, they are not yet concluded.”
The implicated officers, Simon Scorpion Ndyalvane, Caylene Whiteboy and Foster Netshiongolo are in custody.
NPA opposes bail for police involved in the Nathaniel Julies case:
The court previously heard that, Whiteboy, was the one who discharged the firearm.
She told the court that she was not aware the gun had live ammunition and had thought it was loaded with rubber bullets.
Whiteboy accused the other suspects of framing her for the murder.
She also says she has received death threats from the first accused.
It was also revealed that Ndyalvane had allegedly called accused No. 3, Foster Netshiongolo, to tamper with the crime scene and make it look like a shoot-out had taken place.
The post NPA still investigating Nathaniel Julies’ murder case appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..