The man accused of hacking to death an Elliotdale mother and her five children late last month will lodge a formal bail application in the Xhorha Magistrates’ Court, in the Eastern Cape, on Monday.
Nowa Makula (34) was the boyfriend of the woman and father of three of the children, who were hacked to death with an axe.
A six-month-old baby is among the victims.
Makula was arrested in King William’s Town few hours after allegedly committing the crime.
GRAPHIC CONTENT – The family is struggling to come to terms with the killings:
The horrific scene was discovered by the woman’s 16-year-old son.
Meanwhile, the woman and her children were buried at the weekend at Sidabekweni village.
In the video below, slain family of six laid to rest:
Police Minister Bheki Cele, who attended the funeral of the family yesterday, urged police to take gender-based violence cases seriously.
“There is some complaints that we now and again receive to say when people go to the police station they are told either to go and come the next day. Sometimes they are told to go and negotiate. Sometimes even ridiculed to say was this the way you were dressing up, we are really calling on all our members to stop that,” said Minister Cele.
The post Man accused of hacking family to death to apply for bail on Monday appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..