The Gauteng Education Department says it had to respect the wishes of the parents of Parktown Boys’ High School learners. This after members of the media and parents of former learners, were asked to leave a parents’ meeting of the school at Wits University’s Education Campus in Johannesburg on Friday.
WATCH | Media denied entrance at Parktown Boys’ pic.twitter.com/aHcW6xBHds
— SABC News Online (@SABCNewsOnline) January 24, 2020
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi was meeting with parents following the death of 13-year-old Enock Mpianzi, who drowned at a school camp.
Department spokesperson Steve Mabona says a few parents raised concerns about the presence of the media.
“There are few parents that raised the issue with us to say, ‘we do not understand why you invited the media. We thought that this is a parents’ meeting, the SGB, the Department and the school.’ So we then said that as a matter of principle, we can’t ignore it when it’s raised by parents because this is their meeting.”
This is not the first time that the school has been in the news. In 2018, a water polo coach was sentenced to 23 years in jail for abusing young boys.
One of the parents that was chased away, Michelle Hobkirk says it looks as if there are more cover-ups.
“It’s getting boring doing this because last year (2019) and the year before Mr Panyaza [Lesufi] commissioned Mr Molebatse to investigate claims by children and the MEC admitted prima facie evidence, it was all true. We still have not gotten that report. That’s the same SGB that’s trying to cover it up.”
WATCH RELATED VIDEO BELOW:
The post Gauteng Education respects wish of Parktown Boys’ parents that media not be present at meeting appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..