Eskom says it does not expect to implement any load shedding this weekend.
The power utility downgraded to stage one load shedding last night after more than a day of stage two power outages. Eskom had implemented stage two due to an increase in power station breakdowns.
The power utility says it has now returned a total of seven generating units back to the power grid, but continues to urge South Africans to use electricity sparingly.
Eskom Load Reduction Notice
— Eskom Hld SOC Ltd (@Eskom_SA) August 14, 2020
Eskom’s woes compounded by illegal connections
In July, load shedding had been suspended, but there were parts of South Africa where residents remained in the dark amidst the cold weather and COVID-19 fears.
Eskom attributed this to illegal connections.
A resident of Chiawelo in Soweto told SABC News they have been without power for a month. In a bid to crackdown on thousands of illegal connections, Eskom has implemented daily cuts in certain areas at peak times in the morning and in the afternoons. It calls this load reduction as opposed to load shedding.
In the video below, Eskom spokesperson Sikonathi Mantshantsha elaborates on the problem of illegal connections:
The post Eskom does not expect to implement load shedding this weekend appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..