The Premier of the Eastern Cape Province Oscar Mabuyane has tested positive for coronavirus. Premier Mabuyane had flu symptoms prompting him to take a coronavirus test.
The Premier has started informing his family members, staff in his office and some of the people he met with recently about his test results and encouraged those who might be feeling similar symptoms to take a coronavirus test.
Premier Mabuyane is isolating at home.
South Africa’s COVID-19 cases have increased to 742 394, with 2 140 new cases detected in the last 24-hours.
The country’s COVID-19 death toll now stands at 20 011, with 60 new deaths since the last report. Recoveries stand at 686 458, which translates to a 92% recovery rate.
Latest SA COVID-19 cases:
Mkhize and his wife tested positive for COVID-19 in mid-October
In mid-October, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize and his wife tested positive for coronavirus. In a statement, the minister said at the time that they decided to test after experiencing mild symptoms.
“I was feeling abnormally exhausted and as the day progressed, I started losing appetite. My wife had a cough, was dizzy, and extremely exhausted. Given her symptoms, the doctors advised that she must be admitted for observation and rehydration.”
Mkhize and his wife both quarantined at home.
The Minister also urged South Africans to continue adhering to safety protocols.
“I wish to take this opportunity to urge all South Africans to continue adhering to health protocols. I want to beg that we do not neglect wearing our masks, social distancing, and washing / sanitising our hands.”
Public urged to heed warning about COVID-19
Deputy Director General at the Department of Health, Dr Anban Pillay says people need to heed the warnings of President Cyril Ramaphosa, as COVID-19 is still among us.
He was reacting to the President’s address to the nation on Wednesday, where he spoke about the state of the virus in South Africa.
SA Lockdown restrictions amended:
Dr Pillay says what’s currently happening in Europe is an indicator of what could eventually happen here.
“The COVID-19 infection is by no means over. There are still clusters of infection across various areas of the country. We need to remain vigilant and make sure that these clusters don’t spread. Given that the spread of these clusters will result in us having more widespread infections.”
“I think the President referenced what is happening currently in Europe, which is an important indicator of what could happen here if we fail to adhere to the preventative measures – not having large gatherings etc,” adds Pillay.
Preventing a resurgence
Meanwhile, President Cyril Ramaphosa says as long as people observe all the necessary health protocols and remaining restrictions, there is no need to go back to higher lockdown levels.
He says the international community has commended the country for how it handled the pandemic.
However, he says in order to prevent a resurgence in cases, attention must be given to certain areas, including the Eastern Cape. The province recorded 50% more cases last week than it did the previous week.
“And the total number of new cases in the last 14 days was around 145% higher than the previous 14 days. These increases are being driven by massive spikes in the Nelson Mandela Metro and the Sarah Baartman District in particular,” says the President.
Ramaphosa says poor adherence to social distancing, wearing masks and poor hygiene will allow for rising infections.
The post Eastern Cape Premier tests positive for coronavirus appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..