Eastern Cape family murder victims to be laid to rest

SABC News Murder P - Eastern Cape family murder victims to be laid to rest

The victims of a fatal family violence case in Xhorha, in the Eastern Cape, will be laid to rest at their home on Sunday.

Nomzamo Sikhundwana and her five children, the youngest six months old, were hacked to death at Sidabekweni village more than a week ago.

Sikhundwana’s partner, who is the biological father of three of the children, is standing trial for the brutal crime.

The 34-year-old was remanded in custody after a brief appearance in the Xhorha Magistrate’s Court last Monday.

He was arrested in King William’s Town within 24 hours of the crime being committed, allegedly while preparing to leave the country. He is due back in court on Monday.

Man accused of killing his partner and her five children remanded in custody:

Call for no bail

Regional convener of the Women’s League RTT, Thembalam Xhego, has called on the court not to grant him bail.

“We are saying, we must continue embarking on awareness campaigns targeting rural areas. To the perpetrators, we are saying they must not get bail. They must rot in jail,” says Xhego.

Earlier this week, the African National Congress Women’s League (ANCWL) in the Amathole region said more focus was needed in rural areas to educate communities about gender-based violence and femicide.

The league protested outside the Xhorha Magistrate’s Court during the suspect’s first court appearance last week.

The murder has renewed calls for the return of the death penalty.

Family distraught following killing of a daughter and her five children:

The post Eastern Cape family murder victims to be laid to rest appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *