The bail judgment of Sergeant Voster Netshiongolo won’t be delivered on Monday by the Protea Magistrate’s Court in Soweto.
Netshiongolo and two other police officers linked to the murder of Eldorado Park teenager Nathaniel Julies have previously been denied bail.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane says the court has been closed and will be decontaminated after a COVID-19 case had been detected.
The court has not yet set a new date for the outcome of the bail application.
It’s Netshiongolo’s second application for bail based on what his lawyers argue is new evidence being presented to the court.
He’s been charged with being an accessory to murder while two other police officers, Simon Ndyalvane and Caylene Whiteboy, stand accused of killing the 16-year-old boy and then trying to cover it up.
In the video below, emotions ran high outside the Protea Magistrate’s Court in Soweto where the suspects case made their first court appearance in August.
Outcry over murder, calls for justice
Julies, who had Down Syndrome, had been shot not far from his Eldorado Park home in August.
His death had angered the community and sparked protests for justice.
During his funeral service, speakers said Julies’ death should not be in vain:
The post COVID-19 delays bail hearing in Nathaniel Julies murder case appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..