Court dismisses Omotoso’s leave to appeal bid

Omotoso2 - Court dismisses Omotoso’s leave to appeal bid

The application for leave to appeal against the dismissal of bail for Pastor Timothy Omotoso has failed in the Port Elizabeth High Court.

Omotoso has tried to get bail since his arrest three years ago.

Judge Phillip Zilwa said there is no reasonable prospect that another court would come to a different conclusion.

Zilwa said he considered all the old and new facts of the bail application, and the reasons he denied bail still stand.

He is of the view that there is no prospect of success in another court.

Omotoso and two co-accused are facing 90 sex-related charges ranging from human trafficking, rape, racketeering to sexual assault.

The main trial is set to commence later on Wednesday.

Wednesday’s court proceedings:

Flight risk

On Tuesday, the state has argued Omotoso should not be granted leave to appeal the refusal of bail because he is a flight risk.

In the video below, Defence attorney Peter Daubermann indicated that he will petition the Supreme Court of Appeal if the leave to appeal is not granted:

Cheryl Zondi

Last month, in a letter presented to court, it came to light that the first state witness, Cheryl Zondi asked for the previous state prosecutor in the case, Advocate Ishmat Cerfontein, to be removed.

The post Court dismisses Omotoso’s leave to appeal bid appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *